CAD/CAM is computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing refers to computer software that is used to both design and manufacture products.
CAD/CAM dentistry used to create dental restorations; especially crowns, veneers, inlays and onlays; with no imperfections. With no need for a lab, this technique had proven improving of the quality of the design; increasing of the treatment speed, and making possible restorations and appliances that otherwise would have been infeasible.
The components of a CAD/CAM unit are composed of two units:
1. The Acquisition Unit: This unit is made up of a tower with a computer inside it, an LCD computer screen, camera unit for imaging the teeth and program software for creating the perfect dental restoration for the patients as seen in the below pictures.
2.The Milling Unit: This is a box shaped chamber that is separate from the Acquisition unit (As seen in the picture below). It is connected wirelessly and receives directions from the acquisition unit. Based on the input from the acquisition unit the milling unit starts cutting crowns, inlays and Veneers from porcelain, Acrylic and Zirconium blocks.
The milling unit features a self contained water supply and 2 diamond coated burs that create the specific shape of computer designed restorations.
Why Perform CEREC (CAD/CAM) Dentistry? What Are its Benefits?
1. Saves Time: It is completed in a Single visit.
2. No Temporaries: There will be no wait with the temporary materials on your tooth while the lab makes the permanent restoration. Meaning NO temporaries to fall off or out inconveniencing the patient further by returning to the office to have it replaced.
3. Less Novacaine: No shots or Numbing of the mouth is required.
4. Less Tooth Drilling: More tooth structure can be preserved during the procedure because Cerec restoration are laced with extremely strong Cement (Glue)
5. Cerec Restoration Are Very Accurate: It is performed under high magnification on the computer screen, greatly enhancing accuracy levels.
For more information you can always visit the link below